In July 2013 Solid State Solutions were pleased to be awarded the contract to modernise the backup infrastructure at the Vale of Glamorgan Council. The Council had an aging backup estate and an architecture that was not able to support advances in technology that enable greater operational efficiency plus support the ever increasing volumes of data that need to be protected within the Council’s NetApp storage environment. To address the requirement for the modernisation of the Backup estate, the Council issued an ITT to address the following key objectives:
- Reduce the backup window through the adoption of Backup to Disk (B2D) technology for the immediate backup and short term retention of backup data.
- To reduce the required volume of tape media, thereby reduce the media storage and management requirement
- To simplify processes, thereby reducing the administrative overhead and enabling ICT staff to deliver a greater degree of proactive management.
- Reduce operational expenditure through equipment refresh and optimisation
- Leveraged existing investments and skills
In order to be awarded the contract it was important for S3 to be not just commercially competitive, but to demonstrate to the Council that we were a safe pair of hands to be entrusted with this important project:
- Provide a solution that represents value for money and reduced where possible on-going operational expenditure
- Provide a solution approach that mitigates risk through demonstrating capability, good project governance, the ability to support the solutions and that S3 is a “safe pair of hands” to be entrusted with this project
- Reduce “time to value” through delivering the solution on time and on budget whilst providing the necessary solution knowledge transfer and training to ensure rapid adoption of the solution by the Council.
- To demonstrate the capability to design and deploy the solution and fully integrate with the NetApp storage environment.
- Deliver or advise where innovation can deliver further efficiency
To address the above requirements Solid State Solutions proposed a solution comprising replicated Symantec NetBackup Appliances, Brocade switches and an Overland library. It was recognised by the Council through our response, that S3 had demonstrable technical and project capability to deliver the solution on time and on budget.
The solution is now fully operational after being delivered on time and on budget with all functional and non-functional requirements being met.
What The Customer Said
“A big part of the NetBackup tender was to have a single point of contact for our NetBackup support, someone who would be familiar with our setup and would provide the front end for Symantec support. S3’s helpdesk being part of the package was a favourable element when evaluating the tender responses”
“The technical team who installed the solution inspired confidence and were efficient, working quickly to implement the solution and resolve any issues that came up, ensuring the project did not slip. There was also the added bonus of them being NetApp accredited, and were able to integrate the new infrastructure into our NetApp estate seamlessly. The same team continue to support us through the operational stage, the continuity of this has proved invaluable”
“The Vale has an ever increasing amount of data to protect, and I feel that S3 have provided us with a solution that meets our current needs and those of the future”
Emma Williams, Principal ICT Officer at Vale of Glamorgan Council